Mineral Extraction Committee
The Mineral Extraction Committee (the “Committee”) shall review the Town of Windham zoning map and regulations with regard to mineral extraction operations and to make recommendations about changes to the map and/or regulations as to where the various types of mineral extraction operations may be conducted and under what conditions and standards.
At this time, no additional meetings have been scheduled. The Committee voted at their meeting on Thursday September 27, 2018 to send a recommendation on changes to the Town's mineral extraction regulations to the Town Council. Click here for recommendation.
Meeting Packets Meeting Notes
September 27, 2018
September 20, 2018 Public Forum - Video September 20, 2018
September 13, 2018
September 6, 2018
August 30, 2018 - Video
August 23, 2018
August 16, 2018 - Cancelled
August 9, 2018
August 2, 2018 - Cancelled
July 26, 2018
July 19, 2018
July 12, 2018
July 5, 2018 July 5, 2018
June 28, 2018 June 28, 2018
The members of the Committee shall be as follows:
- One (1) member of the Town Council,
- One (1) member of the Planning Board,
- One (1) member of the Long Range Planning Committee other than a member of the Planning Board,
- Four (4) members of the community who are not members of the Town Council, Planning Board, and/or Long Range Planning Committee.
Representatives shall be appointed by the Town Council following application to and recommendation by the Council’s Appointments Committee.
The Committee shall elect a Chair and Vice Chair at its first regular meeting or as soon as possible thereafter from within its membership, except that the Town Council representative shall not be eligible to serve as Chair or Vice Chair.
The Committee shall elect a Chair from its membership, as indicated above. The Chair shall have the authority to convene meetings of the Committee, which shall be conducted in accordance with Maine's "Freedom of Access" law (1 MRSA § 401 et. seq.), with due notice to the members.
The Committee shall adopt such other reasonable rules of procedure as may be necessary for the efficient conduct of its business while allowing for public input, accountability and due process. A quorum of the Committee shall be defined as a majority of those appointed to the Committee but in no case shall the Committee hold a meeting or conduct Committee business with fewer than four (4) members.
It shall be the responsibility of the Committee:
- To review the Town of Windham zoning map and applicable regulations with regard to mineral extraction operations and to make recommendations about changes to the map and/or regulations as to where the various types of mineratl extraction operations may be conducted and under what conditions and standards:
- To seek input and recommendations from experts and other stakeholders such as the Maine Department of Environmental Protection, local experts, the general public and other stakeholders:
- To hold one or more public meetings or forums, other than the Committee’s regular working meetings, for the purpose of informing the general public about the Committee’s work and seeking input on issues related to mineral extraction operations, and on the Committee’s draft recommendations before making formal recommendations to the Town Council: and
- To report regularly on its progress and identify any resource needs to the Town Council.
Committee members do not have regular office hours. Questions and requests for information should be directed to Amanda Lessard, Planner.