- Town Clerk
- Permits & Licenses
- Marriage License
How to Apply
Fee & Turnaround Time
RequirementsRequirements to obtain a marriage license are:
- If this is not a first marriage for one of you, bring a certified copy (with a raised seal) of the divorce form or death certificate of the last spouse.
- Applicants must be over 18 years old.
- Written parental consent is required for an applicant under 18.
- Written parental consent and written consent of a judge are required for an applicant under 16. No blood test is required.
- Please bring a valid photo I.D. for each of you.
The Clerk will perform short marriage ceremonies by request and appointments are encouraged. There is no set fee for a marriage ceremony; however, we do accept donations that are used for children in Windham whose families have asked for help at Christmas.
Legal Name Change Upon Marriage
Parties may change their name to any name; the new proposed names do not necessarily have to be their spouse's last name. Parties who do not wish to change their name are encouraged to provide their "current legal name" (item #1 & #37) on the VS-2A marriage intention application and in the "proposed new name after this marriage" field (item #28 & #64).
Parties have up until the marriage ceremony has been performed to change their minds about the names provided on the marriage intentions and/or license.
Parties who would like to change their names after the marriage ceremony has been performed must obtain a legal name change order from the district court that has competent jurisdiction over the party. The legal name change order must then be presented to Data, Research and Vital Statistics (DRVS), with a $60 fee, which includes a copy of the corrected record.