Social Services

General Assistance

The Town of Windham offers a General Assistance program for people in need. This program provides confidential financial assistance to Windham residents who are having difficulty meeting basic needs for housing, utilities, food, fuel oil, etc., as defined by local ordinance and state statute, MRSA 22, part 5 Chapter 1161.

The program is funded by local property taxes with 50% reimbursement from the state. All assistance is provided in voucher form and no cash assistance is granted. The General Assistance Administrator works actively with applicants to ensure that appropriate in-house and outside community referrals are made to other support services.

Current GA Ordinance

Council Ordinance Adoption

Application Process and Interview Preparation

Applications are taken by appointment only. Before the interview, please read through this General Assistance Applicant Rights and Responsibilities brochure.

Your General Assistance budget will be based on the 30 day period following your application. The Town will also look back to the 30 days before you applied to see what money you received and how you spent it. The Town will need to see the following:
  • Driver's license or other identification
  • Social security card and the social security cards for all members of your household (this includes any person or persons living with you whether related or not)
  • Lease or mortgage agreement
  • Most recent CMP bills and / or other proof of expenses (i.e. rent/mortgage, heating/fuel, electricity, food, medical expenses, etc.)
  • Cancelled checks, receipts, or other documents that show how you have spent your money and income in the past 30 days
  • Proof of all household income and assets including - cash on hand, income tax refunds, unemployment benefits, child support benefits, TANF benefits, social security benefits, SSI/SSDI disability benefits, checking/savings accounts, veteran's pensions, rental income, loans, worker's compensation, savings bonds, trust funds annuity/life insurance policies, retirement accounts, school loans, assistance from relatives, in-kind income, self-employment income
  • Documentation of financial resources (i.e. car/recreational vehicles, real estate holdings, etc.)