21st Century Downtown Plan
Recipient of the 2014 Association of Planners Award for Plan of the Year!
- Develop a comprehensive vision for transportation improvements in North Windham
- Improve the capacity of Roosevelt Trail
- Introduce street networks in an incremental manner that respond to the existing built context and allow for the growth of new neighborhoods surrounding the commercial core
- Incubate a range of economic development and housing opportunities
- Establish a renewed "sense of place" in Windham's commercial center through Complete Streets, infill development, increased residential densities, vibrant public realms, mobility options and access to open space
- Focus on implementation by identifying short-term and long-term improvements and policies
Making it Happen – Shaping Future Development
Making it Happen - Ordinance Changes
The Town Council has been reviewing the draft Character Based Code (CBC) developed for North Windham along with alternative ordinance changes that incorporate some of the highest impact components of a CBC into our existing zoning framework. The alternative presented could be used as a temporary ordinance patch to give both town staff and North Windham property owners a greater understanding of the shift in thinking required to regulate and develop within the framework of a CBC.
Draft CBC – click here
The Town Council adopted the alternative changes for the C-1 and C-2 Districts on June 12, 2018. See these changes in the current version of the Land Use Ordinance Section 400.
For more information or to sign up for the project e-mail list, please contact Amanda Lessard at (207) 894-5900, x6121, or email@example.com.
Making it Happen – Engineering Public Improvements
- Portland Area Comprehensive Transportation System (PACTS) Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) - Applications for roadway and multimodal projects to receive Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) funding from PACTS’ 2024 “MPO Allocation” due March 2, 2021
- Maine DOT Municipal Partnership Initiative
The Preliminary Design Plans (linked below) have been shaped by input received at three public workshops from December 2015 to May 2016 and many individual meetings with property and business owners in North Windham.Preliminary Design Report May 2016
Roosevelt Trail from River Road to Boody's Corner - Sheets 1-7
Roosevelt Trail from Boody's Corner to Whites Bridge Road - Sheets 7-16
Tandberg Trail from Basin Road to Collins Pond - Sheets 17-21
Phasing Plan Summary April 2018
Adaptive Traffic Signals February 2020
Route 35 Sidewalk (Basin Road to Route 302) Completed October 2020