It is the policy of the Windham Police Department to make available all records which are defined as public records under applicable law. All requests will be acknowledged within five (5) business days of the request, then will be filled or rejected with an explanation as soon as possible thereafter.
Accident reports may be obtained via the internet at www.Buycrash.com and are usually available within 48 hours after the crash. The cost for this service is $15.00 payable by credit card.
There is a charge for copies of records which is intended to reimburse the reasonable costs of providing the records. The costs must be prepaid for any requests for records exceeding $100. Otherwise, they must be paid at the time the report is received. The requestor may ask for an estimate of charges before proceeding. Our charges are as follows:
- $ .10 per page
- $25.00 an hour, after the first two hours, for requests requiring extensive preparation.
- Estimate of costs will be provided upon request.
Report requests may be made online, by phone, email or mail. Accepted forms of payment include cash (exact change), check or money order payable to the Windham Police Department. We do not have the ability to accept credit or debit transactions at this time.
- Payment may either be mailed to, or dropped off at, the Windham Police Department, 375 Gray Road, Windham ME, 04062. ATTN: RECORDS. Do not mail cash.
- If the lobby is closed, you may drop your payment in the gray metal box to the left of the lobby doors, this is checked daily during the business work week.
- Records may be mailed or emailed to the address information provided.
- Or you may arrange to pick up copies of records at the Police Department during regular business hours.
For further information, call 207-892-1919 use Option 1.
All of the above charges assume that the document requested exists. The Windham Police Department, under Maine Revised Statutes Title 1: GENERAL PROVISIONS, Chapter 13: PUBLIC RECORDS AND PROCEEDINGS, Subchapter 1: FREEDOM of ACCESS, Sec 408-A. #6, is not required to create a record that does not exist.